Monday, June 11, 2012

Car camping...

Today is June 10th 2012. We are at a campground approximately 30 miles south of the trailhead which we will depart. The climbing office opens at 7:30 am and we hope to be there to get our permits. The plan was to hike to liberty ridge in the next few days and hopefully summit and be back Friday morning. Due to the 20inches of snow they received since Friday and the Heavy wind loading the avalanche danger is very high. This combinedj with the threat of more inclimate unseasonable weather which could trap us on the ridge we decided summiting should be our priority and while there is avalanche danger on the whole mountain, the Emmons Glacier seems to be our best bet for a summit without a lot of other climbers. Our plan is to load our packs with 5 days worth of food and head up to camp Sherman at around 10k feet (6-7 hours) we will sit and wait until we get a good weather window this week. From what we have seen, it seems like the night is the best time to make the summit attempts so we hope to leave about midnight one night to summit around sunrise. We will spend all week up there if we have to. We think if we spent one more night on Adams we probably would have summited. I have been training the last 16 weeks. I have trained my mind to be ready and to relax and embrace the feelings you get on the mountain. I have trained my body with depletion hikes, 3 hour gym workouts and misery runs in the rain and snow. I was sad liberty ridge has to be postponed but I am glad we made the decision and have put it behind us. I have my whole life to climb it and this june with the unseasonable snow (their calling it June-uary due to the high snowfall). Two climbers triggered an avalanche on Liberty saturday and were caught up in it. They were apparently saved by a snow picket they had placed. They were 1/2 way up the ridge and retreated. If you are not ready to embrace a plan B as if it were a plan A the mountains are not for you. Here it is 10pm in a tent and as I listen to the river flow next to me, my thoughts are engulfed by the monster of a mountain that I have dreamed about for the last 6 months but had never seen until today......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home