Wednesday, March 06, 2013

Running of the Green


So A friend of mine is interested in running in a race Sunday, so the super competitive person I am, I said “hey I’ll run it with you”.  So here I am signed up for my first Race ever (I guess technically it’s not a race it’s a run but to me it’s a race so…).  7K which I thought was Odd.  Apparently 7K = about 4.3 miles.  A very short distance so I figured what do I have to lose?  As many of you know I am not a runner, I mean I run.  Some people say if you run you’re a runner.  I don’t know about that.  I’m not built for it.  Even if I was at my Lean weight, I’m still too heavy.   I’d choose trail over road any day just because I get sore knees running on the road but I made the exception here because it’s so short.   SO I sign up for a race, my first race, last night.  No time to really train, I’ve been doing some runs and getting terrible times but I am also running by my house which is either up or down and is 2000 feet higher than Sundays race.  I have a weird feeling.  I never call it nervous.  I’ve had it before and I’m not scared or afraid of anything so I don’t call it nervous…  It’s more of a curiosity, or a concern with how I will react.  There are 7000 people running this thing.  Yea I’ve done some crazy sick Hikes and summited some cool mountains that most of the people could not do.  To me, this is a workout.  When I’m training, I wouldn’t even call this a “long run”.  So why do I have this feeling.  I think I am just wondering how I will compete.  Usually I am competing with my brain and the elements.  Sometimes I am risking my life.  It’s so funny to say that, but really I have many times.  (Mom – all minimal calculated risks).  This run will be new for me.  I hate crowds, I hate Parking downtown, this is my battle, not the workout (Run).  I am so much more comfortable alone on a snow or talus field or tied to a trusted friend than surrounded by 7000.  I am very interested in Trail Running.  To make the transition from Mountaineering to Alpinism, speed is key.  I need to keep up with my partner Shawn, who places in these races…  I have a long way to go but I’ll get there.  For now I’m going to set a goal.  This goal has nothing to do with time.  I want to WIN this race…  Mentally…  I know my legs can handle it, I’m not sure about my lungs right now.  But my Mind is what I want to beat.  Running with all these people for in the 40 minute range, dogging people..  I want to compete at the top level of my mind with all distractions.  If that’s 12 minute miles, so be it…  I am shooting for 9-10’s. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home