Monday, April 01, 2013

Marathon Training

Ive said it before "Dutin Smoot is not a runner".  (I don't speak in 3rd person but Ive been told its good for search engines)  With that last race I decided it's time to do it.  I haven't really trained since Rainier and I know I can go a long way on a trail.  I know a few trail runs I've been wanting to do but their all in the 12 - 14 mile range.  So I took a random calender and I searched online for marathon training programs and I made my plan.  I felt like the novice programs were far too easy and the intermediate were for people already running 30 miles per week, so I decided to make my own.  The basic format of these programs seemed to be run shorter distances during the week and a long run on the weekend that came close to equaling the miles you ran during the week.  They alternate your pace keeping you working all of your heart rate zones.  One stipulation I made was that I am trying to mountain bike with some friends on Wednesday night for the foreseeable future so I will call that cross training and only run 3 miles on Wednesdays.  Sundays will always be an easy run for fun or hike as a stretch after my long runs on Saturday (If I ski Saturday I may do my long run on Sunday, if so I'll skip the stretch walk).  Also I will work in 2 full body workouts a week focusing on upper body and heavy lifts on the lower body with few reps to aid recovery.   My other spring activity is looking like it will be skydiving.  My friend is looking to get solo certified so we can jump alone and maybe graduate to BASE jumping or paragliding.  I need to lose a few pounds, 225LBS in your street clothes weight limit.  I'm 225lbs in my underwear so Ill need to lose at least 10 lbs (or more, I don't need to be right at the cutoff).   So along with the training I will work on my diet.  My diet is pretty good.  But I fall off and drink and eat crap occasionally.  I'm going to work on a clean diet, loosely based on a Paleo diet, without bad weekends.  Tonight I ate Stir Fry:  

So today is my rest day.  Which is good because my calves were so sore still from skiing.  (This was actually a breakthrough for me, my calves are never sore, I think I am finally skiing in the front seat.) 
So this week will be Tuesday a 2 mile run, Wednesday a 3 mile run, Thursday a 2 mile run. then Sunday a 4.5 mile run (I'm skiing Saturday at A-Basin if any ones interested).  This will be pretty easy for me.  I think.  :)  I will update here and list my progress, Ive been doing much better with blogging.  I'm hoping to be up to a 20 Mile long run by July.  And do some destination runs in the fall like PCT or some runs outside of Vegas and the Grand Canyon rim to rim.   have no Marathon in mind, no actual goal, Im hoping one becomes more clear soon so I can push myself through those long runs.

I would LOVE to hear comments or suggestions, shoot me a text!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home